Working with Jo

Here are some of the most common questions I am asked about being a Play Specialist.

Please let us know if you have more: or use the contact form

What does a Play Specialist Do?

I help children, families and teachers connect using play to help find solutions for easing big feelings; using play as the child’s natural medium they can articulate thoughts without the pressure to talk about their feelings.


What sort of qualifications do you have?

I am a Bachelor Trained Early Childhood Teacher and studied Play Therapy at Post Graduate level.


Do you work with adults?

Yes, play therapy is suitable for adults and children. I also run workshops and training for parents, teachers and volunteers who work with children.


How are the sessions structured?

They are child directed with a few limits to ensure physical and emotional ‘safety’ for myself and the client. The client chooses how the session will run and I follow their lead.


How many sessions will my child need?

I recommend at least 3 consecutive sessions for a start as a minimum and then it is negotiable after that with the client and their family.


Can I stay with my child?

Yes but that is left up to the child to decide, although I request that adults do not participate in the session, but can bring a book to remain a silent observer.


Are you available to speak at our venue?

Yes, by emailing us – to discuss your needs and request a free, no obligation quote.


Do I need a referral to see you?

No, you can self refer.

Are your sessions covered by Private Health Insurance Fund/NDIS?

They are not covered by Private Health funds but applications can be made with the NDIS.


Do you see siblings/large groups in your sessions?

Yes, siblings are welcome but that is up to the individual child/family to negotiate and first priority will be given to the child the session is booked for before inviting siblings.

Group sessions are not available.





To discuss your individual needs please leave a comment in the box or email: